Hi Guys,

We use logs and waste wood to fuel our woodburner, and most of our dogs rush
to select the "choicest" logs or branch cuts for their own use.  I
laboriously bring the wood in and stack it next to the fire - they root
around, dismantle the pile and take some of it out again!

I really don't believe dogs chew wood as a symptom of insufficient diet - I
think some dogs just enjoy chewing wood - it is a satisfying pastime/habit
for them.

Back in November, the East Anglia region of the UK was hit by massive storms
which created a lot of damage to buildings and trees. Whilst out walking with
some dogs we came across a large fallen tree and the dogs raced ahead to
investigate.  Having chosen a length of branch, Cliff was very proudly
trotting around trying to keep his prize away from the little 'thieves'
around him when he suddenly stopped and pawed his face.  I thought he may
have a piece of stick stuck in the roof of his mouth or between his teeth and
called him over. His left canine was sticking out at right angles to his jaw,
and it could not be pushed back into place.  It was obviously very
uncomfortable for him so I gave it a quick pull and it slid out so easily I
was very surprised, and Cliff trotted off as if nothing had happened.  When I
washed and examined my "trophy" I was quite surprised at how large the whole
thing was - so I scanned it and posted it into one of my weekly breednotes to
make a grisly exhibit for the readers!   In fact - he lost a lower incisor
too. Despite his unfortunate experience - Cliff still takes every opportunity
to search for the ultimate specimen to add to his wood collection.

Jude Simonds
Coliburn Bernese UK