Hi Sherri,
I'm going to jump in here and comment on your worming protocol. You say you
have never had a problem with ascarids and hookworms so why give a toxin in
addition to your medication for heartworm. With that thought process why
are you giving heartworm medication when you could do bi-annual bloodwork
and treat if and when you see evidence of microfilaria. Now before the
layperson gets to thinking that worming medication is toxic lets address
the fact that the toxicity is to the parasite and not the dog. Trials have
shown that drugs used for most parasitic control can be given to the dog in
much higher doses before any risk is imposed upon the dog and before anyone
wants to tell me that is enough reason for them not to give such treatments
let me point out that vitamins and minerals given in excess can be toxic as
well but we still need to have a certain amount.

I spent many years working with horses and "cleaning" up those that came
from dealers full of parasites and a healthy horse is one that is treated
regularly for intestinal parasites. Same goes for dogs, some intestinal
parasites are extremely difficult to see on fecal floats and in fact
roundworms will not always be seen depending on the stage of development. I
have seen roundworms in puppies despite the mother being treated because
the pregnancy activates the encysted larvae and the parasite can cross the
placental barrier to contaminate the fetus. Many breeders routinely worm
their puppies and some don't but IMO all puppies should be followed up with
a routine worming or at the least checked  regularly after leaving the
breeder's. Children in the home can be infected with hookworm, whipworm and
roundworm if they come in contact with contaminated ground.

While some people may be very vigilant about their dogs general health the
subject of worms is sometimes forgotton and troublesome bowels and
unthriftiness is often a sign of parasitic burden.

Better out than in:-)

Rose