Hi Karyn,

  Fencing is probably the most secure.  Just make sure that the fencing
is not weak enough that the dogs can climb it and bend the fence which
can then be crawled over.  Also make sure that the fencing is far enough
out from the tree that if they weaken a place on the fence it won't fall
in and knock down the tree.
  We have neighbors who are new to "country living" and kept planting
trees in their pasture without any fencing around them.  We wondered how
many times they'd replant before putting fence up to protect the trees
from the horses - third time was the charm!

Good luck!

Lisa & Tempi (who prefers eatting bulbs more than trees)
Bakersfield, CA