Dear Cecilia and Listers,
What a wonderful post! I have to wholeheartedly agree with the words that
have been expressed here.
Of course, when you have people who are as passionate as they are about
their dogs and related issues, there is bound to be debate and opinions
expressed.
I too read each and every post whether it directly concerns me or not. I am
relatively new to the list (late last Fall) and relatively new to
Bernerdom,(Stevie is now, thankfully 17 months old!). I also concur that
this list is a useful tool as well as a positive forum for us as lovers of
animals, whether they be our beloved berners or other quadrupeds, we need to
remain open-minded and considerate of all who visit this site, old and new.
My eyes have been opened to many new things and many varied opinions that
have been lovingly and intelligently put forth on this list. I am not sure
how well I would have muddled through some of the early issues that I,
somewhat apprehensively, put to the list when I first joined. But the true
colours of the "listers" and now "my friends" soon became apparent and
showed themselves in the love and support that we received during those
dark, grey days of January and Stevie's bizarre accident and as well now
when Stevie is a well and very happy bouncing big Berner boy! I have made
many friends here both near and very far away and cherish that friendship as
though we had known one another for a very long time and the insane part is
that we have never met!
I too have found the Lancaster County discussion informative and extremely
interesting. Of course, I was well aware of the disgusting practices of
puppy mills, but not particularly in that area. Part of our "job" as
conscientious animal advocates is to weigh all of the issues, research all
that we can, and then form our own informed opinion.
I read with joy and happiness all the birthdays that are shared here and I
always look forward to try to join in the celebrations in some small way. I
read of the accomplishments that are posted with such enthusiasm and pride
my the "parents" of our gentle giants. I try to reach out and share the deep
sorrow and hurting hearts that are experienced here when one of our beloveds
goes to the bridge, and I light candles each night for the sick and the
dying and for those who may need a little light to show them the way across.
So, I too would like to jump on the band wagon and just say to those listers
old and new that we want and we need this place to learn, to teach, to
inform, to support and most of all to share in the love that is so evident
here and remind everyone why and by what motives we are all joined here,
whether we agree or not with individual "opinions".
Berner hugs and sloppy kisses,
Karen and Stevie
NB, Canada