how do i unsubscribe? Bernese Mountain Dog Mailing List wrote:

BERNER-L Digest 4483

Topics covered in this issue include:

1) Re: PetSmart...puppy classes
by Andie Reid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
2) Re: [BMDCAmembers] reason for not sharing info
by "Mary-Ann Bowman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
3) Re: BERNER-L digest 4482
by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
4) BMD car decals
by "terri thompson-brady" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
5) Flash's Birthday!
by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
6) Petsmart Classes
by Amanda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
7) RE: PetSmart...puppy classes- & other training tips
by "Lori Oshiro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
8) Re: Petsmart Classes
by "Mary-Ann Bowman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
9) Re: Berner wallpaper border idea
by "gabig" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
10) Re: New A/C 4 day cluster in August - Kansas City
by "Amy Kessler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
11) Petsmart Obedience Classes
by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
12) 2 yr old male Berner needs home (Iowa)
by "gabig" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
13) First Points!!
by RM Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
14) RE: Canine Cooler -- sources for covers and lost instructions
by "Nancy Melone" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
15) Re: First Points!
by RM Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
16) Re: PetSmart...puppy classes
by "Jennifer Graves" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
17) Re: First Points!
by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
18) Re: PetSmart...puppy classes
by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
19) Gathering in Appleton, WI on 13 July by Trisha Powell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
20) RE: PetSmart...puppy classes...my experience
by "Nancy Melone" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
21) carting day #2
by "LeAnn Zogg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
22) petsmart puppy classes
by "brandy marazzi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Re: PetSmart...puppy classes
From:
Andie Reid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date:
Tue, 01 Jul 2003 06:45:44 -0400
To:
[EMAIL PROTECTED], Berner List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Briana,

They are positive trainers, but usually are people without a whole lot of experience. I certainly didn't take our guys there for training - we went to a professional. I guess the upshot of it is that people who might not ordinarily get any training at all for their dogs and themselves will now get some. They wouldn't be hurt by going there - they certainly do training by reward, not punishment - but they could do a whole lot better.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

What's the story on these. One of my puppy people wants to take classes here. My first reaction is UGH. What do you all think? Does anyone know their training methods? Are they positive or negative trainers? Does it vary by area or is it consistant? I am located in CT. Thanks.
Briana
Bunsen Berners

Re: [BMDCAmembers] reason for not sharing info
From:
"Mary-Ann Bowman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 05:33:15 -0600
To:
[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I can think of no good reason not to encourage owners of littermates to communicate with each other. In fact, there are plenty of good reasons why they should. First, littermate owners are a ready source of support to each other, both as they navigate the challenges of puppyhood and throughout the life of the dogs. Second, by fostering a sense of community within the litter and connection to the breeder, one increases the likelihood of maintaining contact with the owners. Third, I believe that building a sense of "berner culture" can start with a community of littermate owners.

My B litter has a yahoo list with all puppy owners (10 including me) and one
of the sire's owners, who also has a puppy from another breeder similar in
age to our litter (eight months). This list has been very active. It has
created a sense of community  for all of us, and offered a forum for support
and advice. We post pictures, share stories, and provide regular updates. I
recently did a poll collecting data about personalities and weight (the
puppies, not the owners!). I would venture to say that the owners have
enjoyed this and it helps both the stud dog owner and myself to continue to
feel connected to our puppies.

I did a similar thing with my A litter only without the benefit of a yahoo
list. Recently we lost one of those dogs and the outpouring of support and
love to the owner by the owners of the littermates reminded me that the
sense of community created by encouraging interaction between littermate
owners is simply invaluable -- it is an excellent support system waiting to
happen that benefits everyone.

In addition to the support aspect, I believe that other owners PLUS the
breeder offer an excellent way for newcomers to the breed to be invited into
our larger berner community. In the B litter we have people training that
have never done this before and we also have new BMDCA members -- I believe
these things happened because of the support and encouragement of the more
experienced berner people on our list.

I love having the stud dog owner on the list as she is a wonderful support
to the puppy owners. However, it makes it hard to blame the bad things on
the stud dog when his mom is reading all the posts ;)

Mary-Ann Bowman
Utah

Re: BERNER-L digest 4482
From:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 07:46:36 EDT
To:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ---REMAINDER OF MESSAGE TRUNCATED--- * * This post contains a forbidden message format * * (such as an attached file, a v-card, HTML formatting) * * Mail Lists at Prairienet only accept PLAIN TEXT * * If your postings display this message your mail program * * is not set to send PLAIN TEXT ONLY and needs adjusting * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Subject:
BMD car decals
From:
"terri thompson-brady" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 08:19:59 -0400
To:
"Bernese Mountain Dog Mailing List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ---REMAINDER OF MESSAGE TRUNCATED--- * * This post contains a forbidden message format * * (such as an attached file, a v-card, HTML formatting) * * Mail Lists at Prairienet only accept PLAIN TEXT * * If your postings display this message your mail program * * is not set to send PLAIN TEXT ONLY and needs adjusting * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

*  MESSAGE EXCEEDED PERMITTED LENGTH  *
*          message truncated          *