We are still trying to get DNA samples in from at least a dozen families of
Bernese Mountain Dogs.  We are trying to develop a DNA test which will
clearly indicate the genetic status of each dog regarding hips.  A breeder
can use this information to breed their dog to the sire or dam that will
complement their dogs' ability to produce non-dysplastic offspring. Only
those breeds where we obtain sufficient DNA samples will have a chance at
this test.

We only have 8 families and several more where people asked for swabs kits
and never returned them, even in spite of my "nag" cards.

We are looking for families of Berners in which there are two or more
siblings (can be from a repeat breeding) who have been diagnosed with hip
dysplasia and are available for DNA sample collection.  We also need DNA
samples from the parents (both whenever possible - but will take one) and
any unaffected littermates that we can get.

DNA samples are collected by small cheek brushes which are simply returned
in self-addressed, stamped envelopes.

Come on folks, what we're doing for von Willebrands Disease we can do for
hips.

Cheryl Hogue
Research Coordinator
VetGen