Moses underwent chemotherapy for osteosarcoma; that and amputation almost immediately after diagnosis have kept him in remission and he is doing extraordinarily well.
His first three chemotherapy treatments consisted of adriamycin and cisplatin (excuse spellings) and his fourth treatment consisted of adriamycin and carboplatin, which was used instead of cisplatin for this treatment because a STAT, regular urinalysis showed that his specific gravity was a bit low. Chemo. was administered by the oncology department at Boston's Angell Memorial Animal Hospital.
Except for one day, after his second chemo., when Moses had a case of the "blahs" (tired with no appetite), Moses had no side effects from the chemo.
Each chemo. treatment cost one thousand dollars, which included STAT bloodwork, hospitalization for the day, monitoring, urine tests, any medication, and the chemo. drugs.
I mention the price for a couple of reasons. Cancer is a very big problem in the breed and people need to know that it is an expensive one as well. To me, Moses' health is his birthright, he is family and his life is, to me, every bit as sacred as yours and mine; I do not put a price on that which sustains health and happiness in a family member. Particularly with the Rescue problem bound to increase in Berners and the Average Joe not feeling in his heart as I do, there will be an increase in the number of dogs who present with enormous medical challenges, some that can very definitely be overcome with the proper medical care and treatment.
Lisa Allen