I have to add a dissenting opinion here to what seem to be mostly positive
opinions regarding chemo in dogs. My Dash underwent 6 months of chemo (one
month concurrently with radiation to his face) for a grade III mast cell
tumor that had been surgically removed. Although he had no evidence of
cancer after surgery, protocol for a grade III is to follow-up w/chemo and
radiation. After three agonizing weeks deciding what to do, we went ahead
w/the chemo. Dash had cytoxan (oral) rotated w/vinblastine (IV catheter),
along with natural hydrocortisone (instead of pred) for 6 cycles. After each
dose, he was a bit tired, and didn't want breakfast for the next few days.
Most of the time he seemed 'ok', but I noticed he tired easily on our walks
at the park. I pulled him from his agility class and stopped taking him
running, since I thought he needed all of his energy to deal with the
poisons we were pumping into him. We still did our daily park outings, where
he would retrieve his favorite "glowball" but nothing extra. It wasn't until
_months_ after we finished the chemo, that I realized how badly he had felt
for those 6 months. It took him about 6 months to be back to his old self.
The change was subtle, so I think people often do not recognize it. I also
think that chemo is usually done to "buy time" and the dog is basically
getting chemo for the remainder of their life, so the owner never has the
chance to see how the dog is feeling after _not_ having chemo for 6 months
or so. Rarely is chemo given to dogs for a "cure", but that was the only
reason I considered it. I know of a couple of other dogs whose owners say
the same thing. These were dogs who underwent chemo "just in case" after
having an aggressive tumor removed. At the time the dog was undergoing
treatment, the owners didn't think they felt bad. Not until months later did
they realize in contrast how badly the dog really was feeling. Just because
a dog is eating doesn't mean they are feeling great, in my opinion. I still
eat when I'm sick, unfortunately!

Also, while all of their hair doesn't fall out, they do blow coat heavily
following chemo and what's left looks pretty bad. Dash's coat still isn't
back to normal, and he finished chemo Jan 1st, 2003.

I know my perspective is colored by the fact that my husband is a physician,
who believes in doing the least invasive treatments possible. Just because
you _can_ do something medical, doesn't always mean you _should_. My husband
and I both agree that the majority of oncologists we know, both human and
veterinary are very aggressive w/treatments, and sometimes are so focused on
treating the disease, they lose sight of what's best for the patient.

I will never know if I made the right decision with Dash. No one knows if
the cancer wouldn't have come back anyway, so it will never be "proved". I
am not judging people who choose to treat their pets with chemo, but I also
think those who choose not to do chemo are making just as loving a choice. A
dog's life is far too short as it is; spending 6 months of one's life
feeling 'under the weather' is a substantial amount of time in a dog's life.
Whatever choices a dog's guardian makes, the choice is made with love, which
is what matters the most.

Jennifer Zaayer
Cardiff by the Sea, CA
Dash, Ti, Moritz, Dunford and Rocchi