Reposted in plain text:

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 19:11:54 -0500 "Burlile\\MemoriesBMDs"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
**** Is this question asking about all puppies that the bitch whelps or,
more defined, puppies the bitch whelps that later produce puppies
themselves?  Do puppies that never produce add to the gene pool?

I can think of a specific bitch who has been bred multiple times and has
several of her offspring being bred. Not sure what the benefit of this
is especially in light of some of the health issues in these lines.

 >At what point does the repeated breedings just become about >money?
And is that bad?
**** Repeated breedings in using the same sire/dam or in breeding the
bitch repeatedly?

I would say mostly repeated breedings. I do understand the value of
repeating a breeding but we are seeing some repeats 4 or more times.
These were to fulfill a demand for that specific breeding. It is rare
that I see the same quality of dog from repeats as the original breeding
produced.

>And another excellent point -- wouldn't it make sense to assess >what a
bitchis producing before breeding again?
*** How do you assess this with one litter?

Most hip and elbow problems which are severe will show up within the
first year. Typically, 5mos - 9mos. Cardiac affected pups will also show
up in the first year many times although low graded issues may not
appear until later. Metabolic problems, autoimmune issues, and
structural issues such as bites may also be seen in the first year.
While it can not be determined that the problem is from the dam alone by
waiting a year after the pups are born at least issues raised may be
addressed for a second litter.

Susan