I wonder if they would allow people to work with the puppy dog, socializing
in the store?  At least it might be a constructive thing to do to ward off
developmental temperament problems (to the extent environment has an
influence in that).

Watch the puppy's health while in the store -- if it starts to deteriorate,
inform the store manager that he/she should call the vet immediately (also
tell them that a sick puppy potentially exposes all their other puppy
"inventory").  The manager is more likely to take action (get a vet, reduce
the price) if he/she knows that the puppy is being monitored regularly.  As
the puppy becomes less puppy-like (grows up), the price will likely fall.  I
am not sure what your regional prices are, but in general, when the price
goes below market (for some situations that I am aware of that was below
$1000), an effort was made by a group of "angels" to purchase the puppy --
BARC has done some of this, but so have many club members outside the
operation of the club's rescue function.  While clubs may not be into this
sort of thing, there are private individuals who are members of clubs who
often serve as "angels" -- BARC has a number of "angels" and BARC has also
been an "angel".

Also, as I mentioned earlier -- put together a puppy packet for the store to
give to the new owner (find out who the store vet is and deliver one to the
vet, too -- BE SURE TO HAVE LOCAL BMDC CONTACTS in the packet.  This puppy
has already been born, so your role now is to make sure that the people who
buy him treat him properly -- you need to reach those people and educate
them. You don't need a big club to do this -- this is something that ONE
PERSON can do and do effectively.  Start by reproducing a selection of the
INFO Series handouts (include at least the Intro; Puppy's First Year;
Health; and Obedience ones) -- I can send you Berner Garde and BARC
brochures (hard copy or PDF).  Pat Long wrote a nice short intro to Berners
for PPOs, too.  Also, include a Berner Base Ball Card with the number of a
local contact. (I am about to leave for a 4-day show, but will do it when I
return).

If you can wrangle to get the new owner's phone number, call them up and
invite them to a club meeting (or meet them somewhere else).  The goal is to
educate -- to make the current puppy's life better and to make sure that the
next time the owner buys a dog, they do it in a more informed way.  Be
reasonable when you set your expectations and sometimes you will be
surprised.

Nancy Melone, Ph.D.
Mars, PA

P.S. Sign you e-mails.