Several trainers have written wonderful accounts of the proper use and benefits of a prong collar. These collars do look like midevil torture devices I'm sure we all agree. But looks can be deceiving.

In working with pet owners for many years, I discovered that a prong collar is gift in "some" cases and I would recommend them to some owners as a last resort. It is truly power steering and can save a dog's life. In that I mean there are people (not Berner owners!) who will give up dealing with an unruly dog by leaving it tied out in the north 40, giving it away, taking it to the pound.....

In most cases, a prong collar need only be used for a short time. A prong collar does not tighten up all the way. Just wearing the collar gets positive results. The constrictive feeling equally around the neck gets the dogs attention. They really don't hurt, I have tried one on. Personally, I don't use one on my obedience dogs because it gets tangled in their hair and is a pain to put on and take off. Most of the time I don't use any collar when practicing obedience.

Years ago, I used a prong on my Labrador to get the two of us from the car to the start of the track w/o causing me bodily harm. I also had occasion to use a prong on my high energy, overly excitable Berner who jumped out of the car over my shoulder, breaking her chain collar, and hurting me in the process. There I was, frantically calling her name as she circled wildly in the parking lot at dog school harassing other dogs/owners. Talk about embarrassing.

The next week we arrived at class with her wearing the prong collar and a leash. She got out of the car, took a lunge towards her doggy friends. I never even pulled it, just stood there. She amazingly became a well mannered dog who was happy to pay attention to me. She was much better behaved in class. I began to like her better and she began to like me better. She only wore the prong 6 more times.

A prong, choke chain, halti, nylon slip, and others should only be used for training and under supervision. April Rifenburg