One of "my" "pups" (I do not own her but am her
breeder; she will be 8 in September) has cancer.  It
is aggressive and initially I received word that she
had histio - however, the lab report was not back yet.
 Then it turned out the sample was too bloody to
evaluate.  So poor Annie went to CSU and was aspirated
again.  This time the report came back not as histio,
but as carcinoma.  It is still bad news for Annie, but
I am breathing a little easier for her relatives.
However, it is still tearing me up.  We had a little
get-together with Annie and a few close-by littermates
to celebrate her while she still feels good and looks
good.  Her owners' main concern is doing what is best
for Annie.  This is very hard on them and I think the
best I can do for them, is gather some info on
treatment experiences others have had - chemo,
holistic, etc.  They want to know how the treatments
affect the dog's quality of life.

There is a tumor that is impacting her bowel activity.
 She has to go on vigorous walks in order to be able
to eliminate.  One of the options was to get a biopsy
sample surgically, but then she would have had to be
kept quiet for a week - which could have left her very
uncomfortable.  If she doesn't have much time left,
her family wants it to be as high quality as possible
- so they opted to not do that.  They are very open to
treatment, money is not an issue, quality of life is.
She has had several ultrasounds and aspirate samples
done.  Out here in Colorado, a chemo treatment costs
about $350 per treatment, I think they are about 3
weeks apart.

I know there have been several posts about chemo
lately and I am going to go dig those out of the
archives.  If anyone has had specific experience
treating carcinoma, I would appreciate hearing from
you.  However, any cancer treatment options, and how
well your dog tolerated the treatment, and how much
time it bought, would be very appreciated as well.

Eight years is just not long enough - and I know it is
still longer than many of our Berners get, but I do
not think I will ever be able to get used to losing
dogs in the prime of their lives.  Please, share info
in Berner-Garde and help us breeders be able to make
informed breeding decisions.  These are not problems
to hide under the carpet. (At Jean's Longlease site, I
am personally impressed by the photos that include the
dog's registered name.) I am preparing to breed
Annie's niece and was devastated to possibly have
histio that close, knowingly... so if I had known
upfront that Tanzi had an aunt with histio I was going
to be a little more strict on what amount of known
histio I could deal with in the stud's pedigree, and
possibly breed her to an older stud who did not have
any littermates with histio.  I don't plan all
breedings that way, because histio is just one piece
of the breeding puzzle.  It is all about compromise.
I am now back to being able to take a chance on a
younger dog again!  When you breed to a 2-year-old dog
you can't predict how many of his littermates will
still be around at age 7 - but when you have a low
incidence of histio on the bitch's side I personally
will take that risk.  Tanzi's granddam is over 12 and
I recently submitted a sample for the control group
(dogs over 10 not diagnosed with histio) of the Fred
Hutchinson study.  We were prepared to send her
daughter Annie's sample for the affected group, but at
this time that appears to be unnecessary.

Histio is basically lurking somewhere in all of our
pedigrees, so it is not that I would never breed a dog
with a "close" relative who had histio... just that if
my bitch has a close relative with histio, I would not
want to breed her to a dog whose sire/dam (for
example)died of histio... and to be more certain about
that, it would be necessary to breed her to an older
stud whose own sire/dam was at least 9 years old, so
far histio free... Again, there are really no
absolutes, just methods for reducing but not
eliminating risk...  You have to give in on something
because if you are not willing to compromise, you
would not be able to breed!  I realize some people
think not breeding is the answer to all this misery,
but I don't see how shrinking the gene pool solves
anything long term.  I have had a big reality check in
the past few weeks, but one thing I know is I still
want to go forward with breeding in my own small-scale
way.

Thanks for any treatment info you can send my way -

Sharon Montville - Firstrax Bernese - Colorado
Hailey, Zyla (Annie's sister), Blaze, Tanzi