Hi,
I have talked to two vets about this. They both give it but they also make sure no other vaccine is given 2-3 weeks before or after the lepto vacc. (one also gives just 1/2 of the dosage two times) For California I was told by one of the two vets, Fort Dodge Vacc. now has the main strain found in California. Also, lepto can be gotten from raccoons, rats and other animals. I have 3 pet rats, yes they are from long lines of "domestic" rats but they could still carry something. For us lepto is recommended due to the rural area. I have not given it yet but it's being shipped and will give it to all my dogs.

Sheila