Hi all -- I'm writing for a friend, who has an 8 1/2 year old berner who has
lately developed what appears to be a 'numb' hind leg. That is, every now
and then as the dog walks his leg seems to slip out from under him toward
his other leg -- my friend says it looks like what would happen if you tried
to walk when your leg was 'asleep'.

They've done x-rays of his spine and leg, and found no tumours, minimal
arthritis, and now obvious cause for the situation. The vet isn't offering
any suggestions. Meanwhile, the dog is happy, smiling, eating well, etc.

Any ideas on what could be happening? Some kind of neurological process? Is
there a (non-invasive) diagnostic procedure that would be worth doing? Any
archive articles I should look at?

Thanks!

Susan