I have picked up the task of shepherding this draft, and
have a number of comments which I think that you should
address before we send this text to the IESG.

As the text contains both LDP and BGP control information
I am copying the BESS WG and their chairs.

- Stewart

========

SB> The document fails I-D nits with

Please fix this.

======

SB> Number of authors. The guideline is five but it is not
a hard limit provided that all authors made significant contribution.
If asked by the IESG can all authors point to specific
text that they wrote?

    Ethernet-Tree (E-Tree) Support in Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS)
                   draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-pe-etree-04.tx

=====

 Abstract

   A generic Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS) solution is proposed for
   Ethernet-Tree (E-Tree) services which uses VLANs to indicate root or
   leaf traffic. A VPLS Provider Edge (PE) model is illustrated as an
   example for the solution. In the solution, E-Tree VPLS PEs are
   interconnected by PWs which carry the VLAN indicating the E-Tree
   attribute, the MAC address based Ethernet forwarding engine and the
   PW work in the same way as before. A signaling mechanism for E-Tree
   capability and VLAN mapping negotiation is further described.

======

 2. Terminology

   E-Tree: Ethernet Tree, a Rooted-Multipoint EVC service as defined in
   MEF 6.1

   EVC: Ethernet Virtual Connection, as defined in MEF 4.0

   FIB: Forwarding Information Base, or forwarding table

   T-VSI: Tree VSI, a VSI with E-Tree support

   Root AC, an AC attached with a root

   Leaf AC, an AC attached with a leaf

   C-VLAN, Customer VLAN

   S-VLAN, Service VLAN

   B-VLAN, Backbone VLAN

   Root VLAN, a VLAN ID used to indicate all the frames that are
   originated at a root AC

   Leaf VLAN, a VLAN ID used to indicate all the frames that are
   originated at a leaf AC

   I-SID, Backbone Service Instance Identifier, as defined in IEEE
   802.1ah

=======

3. Introduction

   Further, an E-Tree service may
   include multiple roots and multiple leaves. Although VPMS or P2MP

SB> VPMS, P2MP and in a few line VPLS, VSI and PE need expansion (and ideally a
reference)

========

   IEEE 802.1 has incorporated the generic E-Tree solution in the latest
   version of 802.1Q [802.1Q-2011], which is just an improvement on the
   traditional asymmetric VLAN mechanism (the use of different VLANs to
   indicate E-Tree root/leaf attributes and prohibiting leaf-to-leaf
   traffic with the help of VLANs was first standardized in IEEE 802.1Q-
   2003). In the solution, VLANs are used to indicate root/leaf

SB> In THE solution - which solution is THE solution?

=======

   This document introduces how the Ethernet VLAN solution can be used

SB> s/introduces/specifies/ and later s/proposed/specified/

   to support generic E-Tree services in VPLS. The solution proposed

=======

 here is fully compatible with the IEEE bridge architecture and the

SB> s/the/with/

 IETF PWE3 technology, thus it will not change the FIB (such as

SB> please expand FIB

=======

4. PE Model with E-Tree Support

   Problem scenario of E-Tree as shown in Fig. 1 of [Etree-req] is a
SB> The problem

=======

4.1. Existing PE Models

SB> In the text that follows it is clear how Fig 1 fits into the picture
but not Fig 2 (which as far as I can see you do not even reference).
I think you are saying that Fig 2 is the existing VPLS model, then
Fig 3 is the obvious mapping to E-tree, but there are problems, but this
needs to be much clearer.

========

4.2. A New PE Model with E-Tree Support

   In order to support the E-Tree in a more scalable way, a new VPLS PE
   model with a single Tree VSI (T-VSI, a VSI with E-Tree support) is
   proposed.

SB> s/proposed/specified/

=======

   For an S-VLAN tagged port, the S-VLAN tag in the Ethernet frames
   received from the root ACs SHOULD be translated to the root S-VLAN in
   the VPLS network domain. Alternatively, the PBB VPLS PE model (where

SB> PBB needs expansion

=======

   In all cases, the outermost VLAN in the resulted Ethernet header is
   used to indicate the E-Tree attribute of an Ethernet frame; this
   document will use VLAN to refer to this outermost VLAN for simplicity

SB> S/will use/uses/

5. PW for E-Tree Support

5.1. PW Encapsulation

   To support an E-Tree service, T-VSIs in a VPLS must be interconnected
   with a bidirectional Ethernet PW. The Ethernet PW may work in the
   tagged mode (PW type 0x0004) as described in [RFC4448], and a VLAN
   tag must be carried in each frame in the PW to indicate the frame

SB>s/and a VLAN tag must be carried in each frame/
in which case a VLAN tag MUST be carried in each frame/
   originated from either root or leaf (the VLAN tag indicating the
   frame originated from either root or leaf can be translated by a
   bridge module in the PE or added by an outside Ethernet edge device,
   even by a customer device). In the tagged PW mode, two service
   delimiting VLANs must be allocated in the VPLS domain for an E-Tree.

s/must/MUST/

=======

   Raw PW (PW type 0x0005 in [RFC4448]) may be used to carry E-Tree
   service for a PW in Compatible mode as shown in Section 5.3.2.

SB> I think this needs to be :
Raw PW (PW type 0x0005 in [RFC4448]) MAY also be used

========

6. Signaling for E-Tree Support

6.1. LDP Extensions for E-Tree Support

   In addition to the signaling procedures as specified in [RFC4447],
   this document proposes a new interface parameter sub-TLV to provision
   an E-Tree service and negotiate the VLAN mapping function, as follows:

     0                   1                   2                   3
     0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
    |  E-Tree       |   Length=8    |           Reserved        |P|V|
    |          Root VLAN ID         |          Leaf VLAN ID         |
                          Figure 8  E-Tree Sub-TLV

   Where:

   o E-Tree is the sub-TLV identifier to be assigned by IANA.

SB> You have an assigned value. I think it would be clearer to all
to say that and include the value in this text

========

   A PE that receives a PW label mapping message with an E-Tree Sub-TLV
   from its peer PE, after saving the VLAN information for the PW, must

=========

SB> Does what follows need to be proceeded by Else or Otherwise?
PW processing as described in [RFC4448] proceeds as usual for all
   cases.

6.2. BGP Extensions for E-Tree Support

   A PE which does not recognize this attribute shall ignore it silently.

SB> I think that should be SHALL or MUST.

======

7. OAM Considerations

   Ethernet OAM for E-Tree including both service OAM and segment OAM
   frames shall undergo the same VLAN mapping as the data traffic; and
   root VLAN SHOULD be applied to segment OAM frames so that they are
   not filtered.

SB> I think s/shall/SHALL/

=======

 8. Applicability

   The solution is applicable to both LDP VPLS [RFC4762] and BGP VPLS
SB> s/The/This/ or s/The solution specified in this document/

======
 10.  IANA Considerations

   IANA is requested to allocate a value for E-Tree in the registry of
   Pseudowire Interface Parameters Sub-TLV type.

   Parameter ID   Length       Description
   =======================================
   TBD            8            E-Tree

SB> Update to show you have the assignment

=======

   IANA is requested to allocate two new LDP status codes from the
   registry of name "STATUS CODE NAME SPACE". The following values are
   suggested:

   Range/Value     E     Description
   ------------- -----   ----------------------
   TBD             1     E-Tree VLAN mapping not supported
   TBD             0     Leaf to Leaf PW released

SB> Update to show you have the assignment

======
 IANA is requested to allocate a value for E-Tree in the registry of
   BGP Extended Community.

   Type Value          Name
   =======================================
   TBD                 E-Tree Info
SB> Update to show you have the assignment

=======

Appendix A. Other PE Models for E-Tree

A.1. A PE Model With a VSI and No bridge

   This PE model may be used by an MTU-s in an H-VPLS network, or an N-
   PE in an H-VPLS network with non-bridging edge devices, wherein a
   spoke PW can be treated as an AC in this model.

SB> Please check that all of the above abbreviations have been
previously expanded.

=======