On 4/15/15 11:25 PM, Robert Raszuk wrote:
Ok I think there are two scenarios.

The original scenario I had in mind was indeed the loopback anycast which would really not have any issues with arp.

The other scenario is NIC overload with multiple addresses some of them would be anycast. It is in fact not that uncommon to have an identical VMs with same IP for robustness without LB. I am not sure if we need to *solve* it at ARP, but we do need to consider it as a valid case and not react as far as duplicate address detection is concerned. Again here depending on the implementation if you put both such VMs say in different VRFs you have no ARP issue, but anycast works fine.
Robert,
The case of a dual-NIC server is typically solved locally (using e.g., multi-chassis LAG for redundancy), and AFAIK the same MAC address is used (but I haven't looked at all the flavors of Linux NIC bonding and VmWare options).

I think to proceed I would be happy to see those cases just documented in deployment section of the draft and we move on. I do not think that solving or even touching IPv4 ARP is needed here at this point.

Agreed.

Or perhaps a different comment to add to the draft would be to mention that duplicate IPv4 address detection is scoped to the same ARP table (which may not be the same as same subnet :).

That seems like a useful addition (if it isn't already in this or some other document).

   Erik

Cheers,
r.