Hi all,

The major rationale of the BGP Encap SAFI is as follows:

  "Since the encapsulation information is coded as an attribute, one
   could ask whether a new SAFI is really required.  After all, a BGP
   speaker could simply attach the tunnel encapsulation attribute to
   each prefix (like Q in our example) that it advertises.  But with
   that technique, any change in the encapsulation information would
   cause a very large number of updates.  Unless one really wants to
   specify different encapsulation information for each prefix, it is
   much better to have a mechanism in which a change in the
   encapsulation information causes a BGP speaker to advertise only a
   single update.  Conversely, when prefixes get modified, the tunnel
   encapsulation information need not be exchanged."---RFC5512

Now it seems that the above rationale has been shaked by this draft.
Futhermore, since it allows to attach BGP Encap attributes to routes now, the
BGP encapsulation extended community can now be safely replaced by BGP Encap
attribute. Therefore, I wonder whether RFC5512 would be obsoleted by this draft
in the end.

Since BGP encapsulation attributes are now attached to routes, the AFI/SAFI of
the NLRI is already capable of indicating the payload type of the advertised
tunnel protocol. For example, if a BGP encapsulation attribute indicating the
UDP tunnel is attached to a labeled route, it would be obvious that MPLS-in-UDP
is supported by the originator of that route. If that particular attribute is
attached to a unlabeled route, it obviously indicates that IP-in-UDP is
supported. As such, it seems unnecessary to allocate two additional type codes
for MPLS-in-UDP and IP-in-UDP.

Best regards,
Xiaohu