Ali, ok I see the ARP cache sync and customer route sync is a benefit. Maybe we
should make this clearer in the draft.

From: Ali Sajassi <saja...@cisco.com<mailto:saja...@cisco.com>>
Date: Friday 6 November 2015 at 15:46
To: Wim Henderickx
<wim.henderi...@alcatel-lucent.com<mailto:wim.henderi...@alcatel-lucent.com>>,
"Jakob Heitz (jheitz)" <jhe...@cisco.com<mailto:jhe...@cisco.com>>, "Jeffrey
(Zhaohui) Zhang" <zzh...@juniper.net<mailto:zzh...@juniper.net>>,
"bess@ietf.org<mailto:bess@ietf.org>" <bess@ietf.org<mailto:bess@ietf.org>>
Subject: Re: [bess] draft-sajassi-bess-evpn-l3vpn- multihoming-00.txt

Wim,
The draft currently assumes that all the S-PEs are EVPN PEs. However, the
remote S-PEs really don’t have to be EVPN PEs. They can be IP-VPN PEs and we
can use evpn-ipvpn-interop draft for the interoperability between the two
types. On the other hand, the S-PEs in the redundancy group have to be EVPN PEs.

Now, regarding using local edge PIC on the SPEs, it doesn’t give you the
sych-up of prefixes for VRFs and ARP cache tables. We are talking about a
single BGP session between the CE and S-PEs. And upon failure, we are talking
about non-stop forwarding with min. traffic disruption.

-Ali