From: BESS <bess-boun...@ietf.org<mailto:bess-boun...@ietf.org>> on behalf of
Haoweiguo <haowei...@huawei.com<mailto:haowei...@huawei.com>>
Date: Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 1:37 AM
To: "saja...@cisco.com<mailto:saja...@cisco.com>"
<saja...@cisco.com<mailto:saja...@cisco.com>>
Cc: "bess@ietf.org<mailto:bess@ietf.org>" <bess@ietf.org<mailto:bess@ietf.org>>
Subject: [bess] One question about Route-type2 usage in EVPN base protocol

Hi Co-authors,
Through ARP process, each EVPN PE can learn local connecting CE’s MAC and IP
correspondence, and will notify the MAC and IP association to all remote PEs
through Route-type2 message. Theoretically, each remote PE can rely on the
single route-type2 message to populate local Mac VRF(MAC table) , ARP Cache and
IP VRF(IP routing table) at the same time. However, some vendor doesn’t do in
this way. In its implementation, each PE will notify two route-type2 message to
remote PEs, one message(say message 1) only carry MAC information(IP field is
invalid), another message(say message 2) carry MAC and IP association
information. The remote PEs rely on message 1 to populate local MAC VRF, and
rely on message 2 to populate local ARP Cache and IP VRF.

I think EVPN protocol should give a clear suggestion for route type-2 message
usage, what’s the scenario to announce only one message and what’s scenario to
announce two messages?

Thanks,

weiguo