Thomas,

Please see in-line.
Thank you.
Jorge

On 5/4/16, 3:23 PM, "Idr on behalf of EXT Thomas Morin" <idr-boun...@ietf.org
on behalf of thomas.mo...@orange.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>There is another point that I missed in this first email.
>
>draft-ietf-bess-evpn-overlay (see section 9) relies on the BGP
>Encapsulation extended to encode the tunnel encap to use for BUM
>traffic, but contrary to other E-VPN routes, relies on the Ethernet Tag
>field of the NLRI to encode the VNI/VSID.

[JORGE] This is certainly a leftover from an old version where the VNI/VSID was
encoded in the ethernet tag for all the routes. The VNI should be encoded in
the Label field in all the routes. This has to be corrected.

In fact, section 5.1.3 says:

5.1.3 Constructing EVPN BGP Routes

<snip>

Accordingly, and
   specifically to support the option of locally assigned VNIs, the MPLS
   label field in the MAC Advertisement, Ethernet AD per EVI, and
   Inclusive Multicast Ethernet Tag routes is used to carry the VNI or
   VSID.  For the balance of this memo, the MPLS label field will be
   referred to as the VNI/VSID field. The VNI/VSID field is used for
   both local and global VNIs/VSIDs, and for either case the entire 24-
   bit field is used to encode the VNI/VSID value.

<snip>

>This is really different than the approach used for other routes (not
>relying on the generic mechanism in draft-ietf-idr-tunnel-encaps), I
>think it would be worth highlighting, by adding something like:
>
>    How the VNI or VSID is encoded in these route is done different
>    from the approach used for other routes, because draft-ietf-idr-
>    tunnel-encaps does not provide procedures describing how to derive a
>    VNI or VSID from a Label in a PMSI Tunnel Attribute.
>
>[ An alternative would be to have draft-ietf-idr-tunnel-encaps provide
>procedures describing how to derive a VNI or VSID from a Label in a PMSI
>Tunnel Attribute and have draft-ietf-bess-evpn-overlay follow that. I
>understand that the existence of implementation makes this hard to change. ]
>
>-Thomas
>

>2016-05-04, Thomas Morin:
>> Hi,
>>
>> There are minor things that could be improved in
>> draft-ietf-bess-evpn-overlay wrt. consistency with
>> draft-ietf-idr-tunnel-encaps :
>>
>> * since draft-ietf-idr-tunnel-encaps will deprecate RFC5512, it would be
>> better that draft-ietf-bess-evpn-overlay refers to
>> draft-ietf-idr-tunnel-encaps and not anymore to RFC5512.

[JORGE] I agree, as long as draft-ietf-idr-tunnel-encaps keeps the
encapsulation extended community. There are a few implementations using this
community and it is enough when only the encapsulation type is needed.

>> * I think it would be better to avoid the explicit list of encap types
>> in section 5.1.3, and rather refer to draft-ietf-idr-tunnel-encaps instead

[JORGE] I agree.