From: Thomas Morin [mailto:thomas.mo...@orange.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2016 8:47 AM
To: John E Drake; Rabadan, Jorge (Nokia - US); BESS; draft-ietf-bess-evpn-
over...@tools.ietf.org; Ali Sajassi (sajassi)
Subject: draft-ietf-bess-evpn-overlay / section 5.1.3 vs. section 9 (was Re:
[Idr] draft-ietf-
bess-evpn-overlay vs. draft-ietf-idr-tunnel-encaps)

Hi John, Ali,

Through the discussion below it appeared that section 9 and section
5.1.3 needed adjustments to be brought in sync, and indeed there were some
changes in
last revision.

However, I don't think the cleanup/precision is complete yet:
- section 5.1.3 says "the MPLS label field in the [...] Inclusive Multicast
Ethernet Tag routes is
used to carry the VNI" although the "Inclusive Multicast Ethernet Tag Route" has no
"MPLS
label field"
- (directly related to the above) none of these section talks about using the
MPLS field of
the PMSI Tunnel Attribute as the VNI, although the discussion below concluded
that it is
what implementations actually do

[JD] Accordingly, and specifically to support the option of locally assigned
VNIs, the MPLS label1 field in the MAC Advertisement route, the MPLS label
field in the Ethernet AD per EVI route, and the MPLS label field in the PMSI
Tunnel Attribute of the Inclusive Multicast Ethernet Tag route are used to
carry the VNI.

- also, section 9 now says "The Ethernet Tag field of this route is set as
described in section
5.1.3.", but I find this sentence useless and redundant (precisely because
5.1.3 already says
it and nothing would indicate that section 9 would be exempt of what 5.1.3 says)

[JD]  We should strike the sentence.

Additionally, it occurred to me that "the MPLS field" is not, strictly
speaking, unambiguous
for MAC Advertisement routes, because the route actually has two MPLS fields.
The text
should just say "MPLS Label1 field" for the MAC/IP advertisement route.

[JD]  See above.

Best,

-Thomas

2016-05-04, John E Drake:
Jorge,

We put the VNI value in the MPLS label field of the PMSI attribute for all
service types,
and we put a value in the Ethernet Tag field following the rules for each
service type as
described in 5.1.3
(https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-overlay-02#section-
5.1.3).

You're right that we need to clean up section 9.

Yours Irrespectively,

John