I support this document for WG adoption.

Having said that, I made a few observations to the authors, and I believe they
agreed to make some changes in the next revision. The main things that I
believe should be reflected in the next rev after WG adoption are:

1- Simplified BGP route encoding
I discussed with the authors that the Join and Leave synch behavior may have
been achieved with a single route type, as opposed to the proposed two types
(type 7 and 8).
The authors believe it is better to keep both, which is ok, but:
a) the route type 8 – IGMP leave synch route – should be simplified: the max
response time and sequence number fields in the route introduce an unnecesary
complexity and should be removed.
b) Route type 8 should be optional since: i) It is actually not needed for
IGMPv1 and 2) It is not needed either if a fast leave mechanism is used (see
point 2).

2- Fast Leave addition to the draft
There are quite a few igmp-snooping implementations in the market that support
a “Fast Leave” mechanism. EVPN should incorporate/document this too.
Implementations allow the use of "Fast Leave" when the IGMP host is directly
connected to the PE/NVE and, only in that case is recommended. Fast Leave is a
local administrative option on the PE, that, if enabled, allows the removal of
a (x,G) state immediately after the reception of an IGMP Leave message for the
(x,G). In the case of an ES AC, Fast Leave is only allowed in the case that a
single IGMP host is multi-homed to the PEs in the ES. When Fast Leave is
configured in an ES AC, the reception of an IGMP Leave message will remove the
(x,G) state for the ES AC immediately and will trigger the withdrawal of the
IGMP State Synch route. Assuming the remote PE is configured for "Fast Leave"
too, the reception of the (x,G) route withdrawal for the ES will remove the
(x,G) state completely.

3- Multicast Flags EC
The Tunnel Type field looks not big enough for the different tunnel types that
EVPN can use. I would recommend taking more space from the reserved bits and
include all the allocated tunnel types in here:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/bgp-parameters/bgp-parameters.xhtml#pmsi-tunnel-types

Thank you.
Jorge

On 1/31/17, 3:58 PM, "BESS on behalf of Thomas Morin" <bess-boun...@ietf.org on