From: BESS <bess-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of "wang.yub...@zte.com.cn"
<wang.yub...@zte.com.cn>
Date: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 at 12:04 PM
To: "bess@ietf.org" <bess@ietf.org>, "saja...@cisco.com" <saja...@cisco.com>,
"ais...@juniper.net" <ais...@juniper.net>, "Henderickx, Wim (Nokia -
BE/Antwerp)" <wim.henderi...@nokia.com>
Subject: [ALU] [bess] Some questions about PBB EVPN (RFC7623)

Hi all,

I have some questions about PBB EVPN.
I haven't find clear explanation in current EVPN RFCs or drafts.
I need some help to check my understanding.

Question 1:
The ESI and B-MAC is assigned to a LAG interface or physical interface,
but it's their sub-interfaces that actually attaches a MAC-VRF instance.
So when the sub-interface fails and it's main-interface is still operational,
The B-MAC for ESI is not withdrawn, and remote PE will continue to load-balance
traffic to the sub-interface.
So all the packet toward the failed sub-interface is drop?
Is this what the RFC 7623 expects?

------------------
[JORGE] Yes. Note that it's not only the fact that you can't withdraw the BMAC,
but also you can't withdraw the ES route, which means there is no DF reelection
for the ISID assigned to the sub-interface. The solution to this is to use a
virtual ES (draft-ietf-bess-evpn-virtual-eth-segment) per sub-interface.
Yet, if you have multiple sub-interfaces in the same ES, and an individual one
fails, you will have those two issues: no DF reelection and no notification to
the remote PEs.
NOTE: back in 2015 we introduced the concept of A-D per-ISID routes
(draft-rabadan-bess-evpn-ac-df-02) to solve this, but had not much support in
the WG and we gave up, focusing only on solving the AC-influenced DF election
issue for EVPN.
NOTE2: for single-active, you can use different ESes and
draft-snr-bess-pbb-evpn-isid-cmacflush. That would also solve the individual AC
failure.
------------------

Question 2:

RFC 7623 6.2.2.1. says that:

      In the case where per-I-SID load-balancing is desired among the PE
   nodes in a given redundancy group, multiple unicast B-MAC addresses
   are allocated per multihomed ES: Each PE connected to the multihomed
   segment is assigned a unique B-MAC.  Every PE then advertises its
   B-MAC address using the BGP MAC Advertisement route.

It means that the ESI B-MAC on the ESI's adjacent PEs is different from each
other.
So how can we do ESI filter by B-MAC comparison(which is discribed in 6.2.1.3)?

------------------
[JORGE] Per-ISID load balancing means single-active MH. And for single-active
Split-horizon filtering is not strictly necessary (it only helps for in-flight
packets upon switchover). For all-active MH you rely on the same source BMAC on
the PEs attached to the same ES.
------------------

Question 3:

The B-Component of PBB EVPN is assumed to be a MPLS EVPN MAC-VRF in RFC7623,
But technically we can use a VXLAN EVPN MAC-VRF instead,
Does it make sense?
Or I don't need to consider this usecase at all?
------------------
[JORGE] Technically is possible, however I haven't seen the need for that
use-case yet. If you need IP tunnels in the B-component you can use MPLSoGRE or
MPLSoUDP, and you are still compliant with RFC7623.
------------------

Question 4:

We have EVPN IRB usecases in MPLS/VXLAN EVPN,
But I don't see there is a EVPN IRB usecase in PBB EVPN from the EVPN IRB
drafts.
So, is this usecase useless?  or will it be considered in the future?
------------------
[JORGE] Note that in PBB-EVPN only the BMACs are involved in the control plane,
and all the customer frames are encapsulated in PBB, so you lose the IP
"visibility" that you have in EVPN. If you need IRB, I would say use EVPN and
not PBB-EVPN. EVPN IRB solves pretty much all the use-cases we see in the
industry today IMHO.

I haven't find clear explanation about these questions.
Is there something important I have missed?

Best Regards
Bob