On Thu, Jan 9, 2020 at 12:41 PM Jeffrey (Zhaohui) Zhang <zzh...@juniper.net>
wrote:

> Gyan,
>
> What embedded RP gives you is that you don't need to configure RP
> addresses. Once the RP is known for a group (however it is done - static
> config in case of IPv4/IPv6, dynamic learning via BSR/Auto-RP in case of
> v4, or embedded RP in case of IPv6), the rest is all the same: source sends
> register towards the RP and LHRs sends (*,g) join towards the RP. In case a
> set of RPs are used for a single group, the RPs learn the sources from each
> other either via MSDP (IPv4 only) or via PIM registers sent among
> themselves.
>
> Once the traffic arrives at the LHR routers they learn the sources and can
> send (s,g) joins. When we say network-based source discovery we refer to
> the learning of sources by the LHRs (so that they can send (s,g) joins).
>

    Gyan> I understand the IPv4 scenario.  I was referring to the IPv6
scenario that the embedded RP provides the RP address to build the group RP
map which is fine but you still need a LHR mechanism to discover the source
which does not exist with SSM.  There are reasons for that and I am
drafting reply to the other thread I will explain.

> > via BGP multicast NLRI AFI 1 and 2 for v4 v6 with SAFI 2 to propagate
> the source information
>
> That is not for source learning. It is for learning of the non-congruent
> routes to the sources. In many cases you only need to originate a few
> routes (in extreme cases a default route is enough), and it has no group
> information.
>

  Gyan> I understand that non congruent routes is one use case for
multicast NLRI ; If the LHR was BGP connected and its RPF path to the
source was now  via BGP multicast NLRI you could use this method to
discover all SSM sources via the network.   Imagine if you decided you
wanted to augment you SSM infrastructure with a multicast NLRI for source
propagation you could do this on your source FHR and receiver LHR and with
all intermediate hops including the core now providing congruent reach
ability to the SSM multicast sources ; you now have solved the SSM gap
mentioned related to LHR network based source discovery.  I don’t think
their is a draft on this but I think it’s a worthwhile I-D.

--

Gyan  Mishra

Network Engineering & Technology

Verizon