From: Adrian Farrel <adr...@olddog.co.uk>
Sent: July-28-20 8:51 AM
To: Najem, Basil <basil.na...@bell.ca>; bess@ietf.org
Cc: draft-dunbar-bess-bgp-sdwan-us...@ietf.org
Subject: [EXT]RE: Thought about "Application Routing" in
draft-dunbar-bess-bgp-sdwan-usage

Thanks for engaging.

I'm going to be picky!

The application is not routed. It sits there running on a host. I think it is
the application's traffic that is routed, and I am assuming you mean specific
traffic flows to/from an application because a single application may have:
- flows to/from multiple destinations
- multiple flows to/from a single destination And each of these flows may
request different performance criteria.

So, maybe...

A traffic flow for an application can be routed based on specific performance
criteria (e.g., packets delay, packet lose, jitter) to provide a better user
experience by choosing tunnels over an underlay network that meet or exceed the
specified performance criteria threshold for that traffic flow.

I am still slightly worried about the term "routed" in this context. Routing is
how we forward a packet from one router to the next. I think you are perhaps
more likely describing "steering" or "directing" since you are putting the
whole flow into a tunnel.

Best,
Adrian