From: BESS <bess-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of bruno.decra...@orange.com
<bruno.decra...@orange.com>
Date: Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 10:04 AM
To: Neeraj Malhotra <neeraj.i...@gmail.com>
Cc: slitkows.i...@gmail.com <slitkows.i...@gmail.com>, bess@ietf.org
<bess@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [bess] New short WGLC for draft-ietf-bess-evpn-unequal-lb
Hi Neeraj,

Thanks for considering my comments.
Much better from my perspective. Thank you.

I have two comments on the changes:
- Regarding deployments
§4.1 allows two rather incompatible encodings/usages with no way to detect
which one is used: some PE could advertise the bandwidth in bytes, while some
other PE could advertise a general weight. I understand that both works, but to
me there is a significant risk of issues over time or between domain/SP. I’d
prefer that you only chose one in order to favour consistency in deployments
and usage and I would prefer the real bandwidth (at least for consistency with
the name of the community, but also because this is not subjective)  (And if a
SP really wants to put an arbitrary value, I think he will figure out by
himself, that it can do so).
If you disagree with the above, then I would have a comment on the two below
sentences:
An implementation may support one or more of the above ways of
   encoding the value.  Operator MUST ensure consistent encoding of this
   value across all PEs in an ethernet segment.
Logic dictates that the second sentence (MUST) can only be fulfilled if the
first sentence mandates that all implementations MUST support both options, or
one specifically defined.

- Regarding existing implementations:
previous version of the draft did not really specify the format of the EVPN EC.
I had personally assumed that the format was similar to the
draft-ietf-idr-link-bandwidth link bandwidth community hence encoded in IEEE
floating point format. Latest version of the draft defines it in unsigned
integer. Integer looks good to me, but for an existing implementation this may
be seen as an incompatible change very late in the process. Obviously, if there
are no implementation, there is no issue. In which case, you could also express
the bandwidth in unit of bit/s _if you_ wish to. (I have no preference).
However given that the draft had indicated a codepoint, there seem to be a risk
of existing implementations hence incompatible change. BTW the codepoint is
squatted even though the registry is FCFS hence easy to request.

Thanks,
--Bruno