Hello,

Looking at the archives on this topic, there was a small discussion about the
structure of the NLRI as proposed in the BGP CAR draft. The conversation was
not conclusive and here’s my thought and a question related to the topic.

While the proposed NLRI format enables NLRI types to be encoded and provides
extensibility, it also lists the key and non-key fields. If we go down this
path, there may be a tendency to add more fields into the NLRI. While
‘Type-specific Key Fields’ may be justifiable (for obvious reasons of
identifying the NLRI), the ‘Type-specific Non-Key Fields’ has a potential to
grow.

Also, this is a departure from base BGP specification of NLRI and attributes
where attributes carry the common information and non-key fields. Am wondering
if the authors have done more investigation on this. Thanks.

srihari…

Juniper Business Use Only