On Mon, Feb 14, 2022 at 11:20 AM Ron Bonica via Datatracker <
nore...@ietf.org> wrote:

> Reviewer: Ron Bonica
> Review result: Not Ready
>
> I am an assigned INT directorate reviewer for
> draft-ietf-bess-srv6-services.txt.
> These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the Internet Area
> Directors. Document editors and shepherd(s) should treat these comments
> just
> like they would treat comments from any other IETF contributors and resolve
> them along with any other Last Call comments that have been received. For
> more
> details on the INT Directorate, see
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/intdir/about/
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/intdir/about/>.
>
> Major issues:
>
> 1) In Section 3.2.1, the draft transposes bits into the MPLS Label field.
> This
> is surprising because MPLS appears nowhere in the forwarding plane. Maybe
> we
> shouldn't advertise an MPLS label?
>
> 2) In Section 3.2.1 the draft says:
>
>   BGP speakers that do not support this specification may misinterpret,
>    on the reception of an SRv6-based BGP service route update, the part
>    of the SRv6 SID encoded in MPLS label field(s) as MPLS label values
>    for MPLS-based services.  Implementations supporting this
>    specification SHOULD provide a mechanism to control the advertisement
>    of SRv6-based BGP service routes on a per-neighbor and per-service
>    basis.  The details of deployment designs and implementation options
>    are outside the scope of this document.

Much thanks to Ron for this OpsDir review -- I'd completely missed the
above points, and they are important to address.

> s/BGP speakers that do not support this specification/Legacy BGP
> implementations
>
> It seems that this isn't backwards compatible unless either:
>
> - the SHOULD becomes a MUST
> - the mechanism is described in this document
>
> 3) I concur with Warren Kumari's DISCUSS
>

> --

The computing scientist’s main challenge is not to get confused by the
complexities of his own making.
  -- E. W. Dijkstra