Hi Erik,

Thanks for your review and please check inline below for responses.

On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 11:33 AM Erik Kline via Datatracker <
nore...@ietf.org> wrote:

> Erik Kline has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-bess-srv6-services-11: Discuss

> introductory paragraph, however.)
>

> Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/blog/handling-iesg-ballot-positions/
> for more information about how to handle DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-srv6-services/

> DISCUSS:
>
> I have little to add to the DISCUSSes held by others beyond my support.
>
> However, I would like to discuss having SRv6 control plane information,
> i.e.
> SIDs and their behaviours etc., being isolated by associating it with
> a separate SAFI.  Any other protocol element that needs to refer to such
> information can make reference to it through context-appropriate
> extensions.
>

KT> This is what the draft proposes. We have existing BGP services (e.g.
L3VPN & EVPN) and we are introducing extensions for signaling of SRv6
specific context for them.

> {AFI=IPv6, SAFI=unicast} is a valid way to advertise an SRv6 locator
> prefix,
> for example, as that's just IPv6 forwarding information.  If SRv6-specific
> information where separately advertised as {AFI=IPv6, SAFI=SRv6} then I
> suspect it would be simpler to filter out that information, detect leaks,
> and generally help the SRv6 domain fail closed more easily.
>

KT> This document does not cover nor discuss signaling of SRv6 locator
prefixes. That is already done today by IGPs with or without summarization
(or where necessary in multi-AS networks by BGP for IPv6 RFC 2545) and this
is all within a provider network. Nothing new is required for that.

> But I'm prepared to learn why this wouldn't work or would be somehow worse.
>

KT> It isn't necessary nor required because SRv6 locators are just IPv6
prefixes that are already covered by IGP/BGP extensions for IPv6 routing. A
provider that uses global IPv6 addresses in their infrastructure (e.g. for
their BGP and other routing sessions, on their router links and loopback,
for DHCP, AAA, etc.) already do routing for those prefixes via IGP/BGP.
These are not advertised (nor leaked) out into the Internet since doing so
can result in attacks on their internal network and infrastructure. They
are protected via BGP configuration to stop leaks and then again by ACLs at
Internet Border Routers to prevent attacks via the data path. This still
remains the case to be done for SRv6 locators - they are similarly the
service provider's "internal" infrastructure.

Thanks,
Ketan