Hi Saumya,

From: Dikshit, Saumya <saumya.diks...@hpe.com>
Date: Tuesday, March 29, 2022 at 2:13 PM
To: Luc André Burdet <laburdet.i...@gmail.com>, Rabadan, Jorge (Nokia -
US/Sunnyvale) <jorge.raba...@nokia.com>,
draft-saumvinayak-bess-all-df-...@ietf.org
<draft-saumvinayak-bess-all-df-...@ietf.org>, bess@ietf.org <bess@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: draft-saumvinayak-bess-all-df-bum
Hello Jorge, Luc,

Thanks a lot, for suggesting potential solution(s).
I am not keep well, hence delay in response.

@Jorge
<Saumya>

·         I completely missed that hint. And that would help for sure in
providing redundant (Active/backup) reachability
[jorge] I was suggesting to use the def-gw indication to do aliasing to the
firewall MAC advertised from those two VTEPs. So active/active. But sure, you
can also do best path selection and have active/backup.

o    Path to Remote Firewall will be “organically heavy” or can be made heavy
(via configurations/route-maps) as per the path calculations.
[jorge] I don’t understand the above statement, why is it heavy?

o    It will be applicable only to the MAC-route in this case, as Border-Vteps
are Layer-2 end-points.
[jorge] yes

·         How about ARP-request (or BUM traffic) for the gateway/firewall IP  ?

o    It would be non-optimal, to spray ARP-request (or any other BUM for known
On-SITE presence) over WAN,

§  even though there is an Active Instance (or destination) in the local-site.

o    Thus, the relaying of BUM over WAN should be nipped.

o    Hence, both Border-Vteps should be DFs to restrict the flooding to access
network

§  And disallowing flooding back to the fabric due to split horizon
[jorge] I’m really confused about the above text 😊. I think you wanted to flood
BUM to the two firewalls, and not sending BUM to only one of them. So my
proposal, i.e. no ES, would give you that. If you don’t want firewall-1 to send
BUM to firewall-2, then putting both on the same ES works, but I didn’t see
that in the draft.. IMHO you will need to clarify the text quite a bit.

<Saumya>

·         That’s not entirely correct. Aliasing equivalent to “single-active”
is required. Effectively, for each fabric/site, local firewall should act as
single-active.

o    MAC-aliasing via default-GW may work out well, as path calculation should
make reachability to local-path preferable

·         And mobility indicators should be suppressed (sequence no.).
[jorge] yes.
Thank you,
Jorge

@Luc
<Saumya>
As I mentioned earlier, split-horizon is needed for the ensuring all BUM enters
the access segment,EVI via SITE local Border-Vtep

<Saumya>
ES:Import route-targets could have been a good choice, if there is one EVI
(Firewall specific) on the segment.
In case there are more, then DF election needs to be done differently for
Firewall EVI differently than other EVIs hosted on the same ESI.

Regards,
Saumya.