Ali, Sami and all,
A short comment inline below.

Regards,
Sasha

From: BESS <bess-boun...@ietf.org> On Behalf Of Ali Sajassi (sajassi)
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2023 10:14 PM
To: Boutros, Sami <sboutros=40ciena....@dmarc.ietf.org>; BESS <bess@ietf.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [bess] Question on symmetric EVPN IRB RFC 9135

Hi Sami,

Please refer to my response inline in red ...

From: BESS <bess-boun...@ietf.org<mailto:bess-boun...@ietf.org>> on behalf of
Boutros, Sami
<sboutros=40ciena....@dmarc.ietf.org<mailto:sboutros=40ciena....@dmarc.ietf.org>>
Date: Tuesday, May 23, 2023 at 2:31 PM
To: BESS <bess@ietf.org<mailto:bess@ietf.org>>
Subject: [bess] Question on symmetric EVPN IRB RFC 9135
Hi,

Looking at section 5.2, it doesn't address quite few cases like for example.

-          What should the receiving PE do if it receives a non zero label2,
but no IP VRF route target? Should we treat as asymmetric?

No, non-zero label2 means it is symmetric IRB and if it doesn't receive the
corresponding IP-VRF RT, then it should be treated as an error and not be
imported (also logged an error message).
[[Sasha]] Please consider the case when the route in question is received by a
BGP Route Reflector.  In this case obviously there would be no need in any
error messages.
And in any case IMHO this case is not different from the case in which a PE
receives a VPN-IP route with attached RTs that do not match one of Import RTs
of any of its IP-VRFs. AFAIK, most implementations simply silently ignore such
routes.

-          What should the receiving PE do if the IP VRF route target import
the route to a VRF different then the VRF the IRB interface belong to? will
that even function?

I guess, you are asking what happens when IP-VRF RT doesn't correspond to
MAC-VRF RT. In this case, the wrong RT will be imported into the wrong table if
the receiving has a match for that wrong RT. But this is the same as IP-VPN use
case when the transmitter uses the wrong RT - i.e., the receiver imports it
into the wrong table when there is a match.

The section seems to assume that the IP VRF route target must be present and
must be related to the VRF the IRB interface belong too? If so, then why do we
need to add an IP VRF route target to start with?

Because IP-VRF table is identified uniquely  via its own RT just like IP-VPN.

Cheers,
Ali

Thanks,

Sami

Notice: This e-mail together with any attachments may contain information of
Ribbon Communications Inc. and its Affiliates that is confidential and/or
proprietary for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, disclosure,
reliance or distribution by others or forwarding without express permission is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the
sender immediately and then delete all copies, including any attachments.