Warren Kumari has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bess-bgp-sdwan-usage-15: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to
https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/handling-ballot-positions/

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-bgp-sdwan-usage/

COMMENT:

I am balloting NoObjection, but am quite uncomfortable with it -- I will steal
some of Eric V's ballot text - "... I find it ***weak*** on several points (see
below) and more accurate language will be welcome rather than hand waving. I
strongly suggest that the authors/WG have a second pass on the document."

The document is very hand-wavey, and, based on the number of open comments and
nits, does not appear to have had significant detailed review; I almost
balloted DISCUSS because of this.

This document would benefit from copy-editing.

1: The document opens with: "Here are some of the main characteristics of
"SD-WAN" networks: [...]"
 -- I don't really think that most of these are "the main characteristics of
 "SD-WAN" networks" - e.g: "Instead of all traffic hauled to Corporate HQ for
 centralized policy control, direct Internet breakout from remote branch
 offices is allowed." - this is a characteristic of many many different
 technologies and VPN solutions. The implication of this sentence so early in
 the document is that a: these are differentiating characteristics, and b: that
 they are the **main** characteristics.

2: Editorial: "Instead of all traffic hauled to Corporate HQ for centralized
policy control, direct Internet breakout from remote branch offices is
allowed." - "Instead of hauling all traffic to ..." or "Instead of having all
traffic hauled to..." or...

3: "Some traffic can be forwarded by edge nodes, based on their application
identifiers instead of destination IP addresses, by placing the traffic onto
specific overlay paths based on the application-specific policies." - the
subject of this sentence is very unclear. What is this "some traffic" (why not
all? what does "some" do in this sentence?). Same for "their" in "their
application identifiers".

4: "CPE-Based VPN: Virtual Private Secure network formed among CPEs. This
differentiates from more commonly used PE-based VPNs". How does "VPN" expand to
"Virtual Private Secure network"? **How** this this "differentiates" from more
commonly used PE-based VPNs? ("This differs from more commonly used PE-based
VPNs as it is formed between CPE" would sort of work, but it is still very
unclear *why* this is being noted.

5: "SD-WAN:     Software Defined Wide Area Network is an overlay network ..." -
this is a much better definition than how the document was opened. I suggest
that it be used if you want to introduce what SD-WAN **is**.

6: "Conventions used in this document [...] SD-WAN over Hybrid Networks: SD-WAN
over Hybrid Networks typically have edge nodes... You never actually use that
term - you *do* use Hybrid Underlay (e.g "SD-WAN with Hybrid Underlays") a
bunch of times though.

7: "For multicast packets forwarding" -> "For multicast packet forwarding"