From: Wen Lin <w...@juniper.net>
Date: Monday, June 3, 2024 at 6:26 PM
To: Ali Sajassi (sajassi) <sajassi=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org>, Luc André
Burdet <laburdet.i...@gmail.com>, Ali Sajassi (sajassi) <saja...@cisco.com>,
bess@ietf.org <bess@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [bess] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-bess-rfc7432bis-09.txt
@ Luc,  Thanks for the link.

@Ali,  I agree this implementation specific, it does not change the outcome of
the DF election result. It seems to be better to revert to the original text to
avoid confusion.

Thanks,
Wen

Juniper Business Use Only
From: Ali Sajassi (sajassi) <sajassi=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org>
Date: Monday, June 3, 2024 at 11:31 AM
To: Luc André Burdet <laburdet.i...@gmail.com>, Wen Lin <w...@juniper.net>, Ali
Sajassi (sajassi) <saja...@cisco.com>, bess@ietf.org <bess@ietf.org>
[External Email. Be cautious of content]

Luc,

That is the matter of implementation and in standards we don’t specify how the
implementation should be done! A given standard should specify the outcome and
the behavior in enough detailed level that there is no room for ambiguity or
misinterpretation but not a specific implementation. You don’t need to know the
type of the IPv6 address in order to perform the comparison. The point was that
any valid IPv6 address type used for the Originating router’s IP address has
the first byte as non-zero and thus the value of IPv6 address is always bigger
than the value of IPv4 address.

Wen,

I will revert the text back to what it was before with the additional
clarifications that I mentioned in my previous emails. As I mentioned
previously, the modified text in section 8.5 is not a new algorithm or
mechanism but rather was done only for clarifications; however, it apparently
caused some confusion because of getting into a specific implementation.

Cheers,
Ali

Juniper Business Use Only