From: Donald Eastlake <d3e...@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2024 6:54 PM
To: Alexander Vainshtein <Alexander.Vainshtein=40rbbn....@dmarc.ietf.org>
Cc: Mohamed Boucadair <mohamed.boucad...@orange.com>; bess@ietf.org;
draft-ietf-bess-evpn-bfd....@ietf.org; rtg-...@ietf.org
Subject: [RTG-DIR]Re: [EXTERNAL] Rtgdir early review of
draft-ietf-bess-evpn-bfd-07

Hi Sasha,

On Tue, Sep 17, 2024 at 8:27 AM Alexander Vainshtein
<Alexander.Vainshtein=40rbbn....@dmarc.ietf.org<mailto:Alexander.Vainshtein=40rbbn....@dmarc.ietf.org>>
 wrote:

> Mohammed,
>
> Lots of thanks for the review.
>
> I have posted my concerns about the draft in question some time ago, and they
> are mainly orthogonal to the issues you raise.
>
> However, there is one important point that you are raising and that overlaps,
> to some extent, with some of my comments.
>
> You have written that you have failed finding “EVPN network layer” in 7432 or
> 7432bis, and your guess is that the authors may refer to the definition in
> Section 2.1 of RFC 9062.

Yes, the draft does intend to refer to the network layer specified in
Section 2.1 of RFC 9062 and hopefully that is clearer in the latest
revision of the draft.

> But I think that the real question here should be whether EVPN network layer
> exists at all, and, if yes, whether it could be monitored using BFD.

Well, it seems to me that PEs exist and the paths between PEs that are
used by EVPN exist and it can be useful to monitor those paths. It is
convenient to have some name to use for the set of such paths. Is
there some name you would prefer to "network layer"? It also seems to
me that it can be monitored with BFD but it could be monitored in
other ways.

> [...]
> the PE that originates the route :¶
> · A PE may advertise the same single EVPN label for all MAC addresses in a
> given MAC-VRF. This label assignment is referred to as a per MAC-VRF label
> assignment.
> · Alternatively, a PE may advertise a unique EVPN label per <MAC-VRF,
> Ethernet tag> combination. This label assignment is referred to as a per
> <MAC-VRF, Ethernet tag> label assignment.
> · As a third option, a PE may advertise a unique EVPN label per <ESI,
> Ethernet tag> combination. This label assignment is referred to as a per
> <ESI, Ethernet tag> label assignment.
> · As a fourth option, a PE may advertise a unique EVPN label per MAC address.
> This label assignment is referred to as a per MAC label assignment.
> All of these label assignment methods have their trade‑offs. An assignment
> per MAC-VRF label requires the least number of EVPN labels but requires a MAC
> lookup in addition to an MPLS lookup on an egress PE for forwarding. On the
> other hand, a unique label per <ESI, Ethernet tag> or a unique label per MAC
> allows an egress PE to forward a packet that it receives from another PE to
> the connected CE, after looking up only the MPLS labels without having to
> perform a MAC lookup. This includes the capability to perform appropriate
> VLAN ID translation on egress to the CE.
>

> In both cases 4 (four) different options for allocating labels carried in the
> Label1 field of the NLRI of EVPN Type 2 routes are listed, and 7432bis
> explains that each of these options has its own trade-offs.
>

> At the same time, Section 2.3 EVPN Network Layer OAM” of RFC 9062 says:
>
> EVPN Network OAM is visible to the PE nodes only. This OAM layer is analogous
> to Virtual Circuit Connectivity Verification (VCCV) [RFC5085] in the case of
> VPLS/VPWS. It provides mechanisms to check the correct operation of the data
> plane as well as a mechanism to verify the data plane against the control
> plane. This includes the ability to perform fault detection and diagnostics
> on:¶
> · the MP2P tunnels used for the transport of unicast traffic between PEs.
> EVPN allows for three different models of unicast label assignment: label per
> EVI, label per <ESI, Ethernet Tag>, and label per MAC address. In all three
> models, the label is bound to an EVPN Unicast Forwarding Equivalence Class
> (FEC). EVPN Network OAM MUST provide mechanisms to check the operation of the
> data plane and verify that operation against the control plane view.
>

> This text is slightly inconsistent with the text in 7432/7432bis (one of the
> four options of the latter is missing in the former). But in any case, the
> “EVPN network layer” in the specific PE may be associated not just with a
> specific MAC-VRF (or with a specific BD within a MAC-VRF) but with a specific
> NAC-VRF, locally attached Ethernet Segment} pair or even with a specific
> <MAC-VRF, locally learned MAC address> pair.

An Errata should be filed against RFC 9062. Do you want to do this or should I?

> And this raises a question about the number of EVPN BFD sessions that could
> be required to monitor such EVPN Network layer.

If there are a vast number of logically distinct paths used by EVPN
between PEs, then monitoring them all may be impractical.

> Hope these notes will be useful.

Thanks,
Donald
Donald E. Eastlake 3rd +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
2386 Panoramic Circle, Apopka, FL 32703 USA
d3e...@gmail.com<mailto:d3e...@gmail.com>