Thanks for the reply Vipul.

 

Given the proprietary nature of the BCI indicator, it does seem to be a bit
of a 'black box' - hence my desire to give it a good test on paper prior to
putting capital at risk.  I am running a test on each of the top 20 stocks
on the ASX by market capitalisation - testing the BCI indicator and the
optimisation process over a number of different periods (20 periods to 320
periods) as well as looking at the benefit of including short and long
trading in the parameter optimisation process.

 

I basically do a BCI optimisation on one day and make long and short
investment decisions based on whether the trend is bullish or bearish,
placing a trade at the open price the next day.  At the close of the next
day, I re-optimise BCI and then hold or liquidate my previous trades based
on the new trends.

 

As you infer, I have noticed some rapid directional changes in some of my
trades for some stocks - I think this is called 'whipsawing'.  I'm not
panicking at the moment as I have only started this exercise a few days ago.

 

One question - do you think the best way to operate is to re-optimise daily,
or keep a set of parameters static ?

 

 

Paul

 

 

 

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On
Behalf Of Vipul Gupta
Sent: Thursday, 22 April 2010 4:00 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [BestCharts] Actual % Returns

 

  

Hi Paul,

You can't trust BCI. I have been trying to work BCI for a couple of months
and the indicator would change on random. That is, you may take a long
position based on its signal, but it may so happen that as soon as you
refresh the charts, you will notice that the long signal was never there!

I have lost much because of this.

Regards,
Vipul




On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 9:21 PM, tzsuj <[email protected]> wrote:

I'm new to Best Charts and am obviously impressed with the % returns being
generated by most indicators on most stocks (run in auto optimisation mode).

I'm currently running a series of paper trades using solely the BCI
indicator (but using different long/short and optimisation time periods) to
gauge sensitivity to the indicator's signals.

What sort of annualised % returns are people getting on their trading
activities (real or paper trades), on the assumption that the Best Charts
indicators are the predominant tools used to generate (and act uopon, buy
and sell signals.

Are we talking 5% pa, 15% pa, 50% pa, 70%pa or over 100% pa ??


Paul



------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links



 



Reply via email to