On Aug 3, 2005, at 8:01 PM, JJZolx wrote:
But still leaves me wondering: Can an SB/SB2 be
turned into a paperweight by a dodgy firmware upgrade, or is there
always some last-ditch means of recovering some old known-good
firmware?
Yes, it's possible for a firmware upgrade to cause the player to become a streamlined brick, so we do test up/downgrading to make sure that we haven't created a killer firmware image.

The problem with the firmware that was checked in for a couple of hours was causing some player settings to get corrupted, but as far as I know, wouldn't have bricked the player. It seems to be fine now.

Bricked players due to faulty firmware would need to come back to our World Headquarters to be reprogrammed (free of charge, of course), or have the CPU cards swapped, but it hasn't happened yet...

-dean