Dan Sully Wrote:
> Personally, I despise the "alpha page bar", and would love to get rid of
> it.
> I'm sure Dean doesn't agree. However, I'd like to start a discussion
> on
> alternatives. Obviously the numeric pagebar is available, but not
> extremely
> useful. Other thoughts?
It certainly seems like it causes a lot of grief for the developers!

Unless all album covers can appear on a single page, you need some way
to accurately seek to your artwork.  Playing the "click the Next button
until you find what you seek" game is really painful.  Being able to
skip directly to the area of choice is pretty important in my mind.

With Adrian's work on artwork sort underway, being able to seek seems
even more useful.  I'd love to see the preference for sort order moved
to the top of the artwork page (and others too), so that a click of the
mouse just re-sorts.

I've been using a app on Windows called OrangeCD to catalog my rips,
CDs, and DVDs.  It presents all artwork on a single page, and
lazy-fills as necessary upon scrolling.  Its pretty darned responsive,
but then its not browser based and doesn't suffer the ill-affects of
some browsers with large pages and objects.  OrangeCD handles some
things really nicely (but I can't say much about the Author's
responsiveness).  I think of it often when I think of how Slimserver
could evolve.  If you care to see how it looks, I can post a
screenshot.

Other than that, I don't have any other ideas to replace the index.

--
MrC