Diranged;250392 Wrote:
> Fletch,
> With regards to the filename ... I can appreciate the date and
> version # in the code, but the increment # doesn't make much sense when
> we're building the code nightly and that number doesnt change. If we
> were using that INSTEAD of the date, it might make sense... but
> otherwise it just complicates the filename.
>
> What about 'squeezecenter-$branchver-$date.noarch.rpm"... so in this
> case, squeezecenter-7.0-20071220.noarch.rpm. This allows us to, if we
> decide its necessary, to change $branchver to the appropriate version
> based on the code we're building.

Keep in mind that you will eventually be building 3 different RPMs
(trunk, branch and release).  The leading 0 is critical for any
prerelease or "yum update" won't work.  When the final release comes
out (squeezecenter-7.0-1), anyone using a nightly won't be able to
upgrade with yum since 20071220 is greater than 1.  The .1 increment
after the 0 may never be needed, but I suggest you leave it in just in
case.  I don't how it adds complexity.  The purpose of the increment is
if you device to do other kinds of prereleases (such as beta or rc) that
have names that aren't naturally in ascending order, you can bump the
increment to 2 (and later 3) to make sure upgrades still work.

It seems convoluted, but I didn't just makes this stuff up.  This is
how every major RPM repository does it and it works pretty well.

--
Fletch