Toby Dickenson;253605 Wrote:
> Some feedback from a .deb user.....

Thanks...

> But the majority of files in the SC cachedir _do_ belong in /var/cache
> (right?). If opml files do not meet that requirement then maybe they
> alone
> should be moved.

I agree.  When I started working on the RPM, there were already a
number of plugins (both built-in and 3rd party) that used cachedir as a
fallback for opml files.  There was also some important state
information in plugin-data.yaml (this has since changed).  At the time,
I felt like we had already started down that slippery slope and it was
only a matter of time before other important files were written to
cachedir.  I decided to work within the constraints of how SC currently
worked.  Maybe that was the lazy way out.  I'd still like to change this
if those files can be moved elsewhere.  Maybe the easiest solution would
be to use prefsdir for the opml files instead.  Any comments on this
from the core developers?

> It is good to have a location for plugins which is NOT writable by the
> squeezecenter process

I'm not sure why you say this.  AFAIK, no one has started working on
the GUI plugin installer so we don't know how it's going to work, but I
assume it will be running as the part of the SC process and therefore as
the squeezecenter user.  So, plugins will need to be installed some
place that the squeezecenter user can write to (which also means it's
mounted rw).

> In that future would it not be better to have separate
> directories for web-installed and apt/rpm/portage/etc installed
> plugins?

I guess so.  We certainly wouldn't want users to be able to install a
plugin via deb and then delete it via the GUI.  AFAIK, there are not
currently any plugins distributed as deb or RPM packages.  (Although,
I'm considering setting up a repo myself.)  I figured that once the GUI
installer is available, it's probably best to encourage using that as
the sole  plugin installation method.

--
Fletch