Well, I answered my own question by limiting the bandwidth of my TP to
256k, forcing transcoding from ALAC to LAME.  Anything with Latin
punctuation, i.e. é, ú, í, etc., hangs in the translation.

Let me mention, as a measure of pointing to LAME, we discovered this
same issue with a professional file-format-convertor that uses LAME as
one of the MP3 options.  The program is BarbaBatch and is from
AudioEase at
http://www.audioease.com/Pages/BarbaBatch4/BarbaBatch4.html.
BarbaBatch is one of the PREMIERE convertors for mastering houses
around the World.  Adding ANY type of extra punctuation, even an
apostrophe in the file name, causes LAME to STOP ENCODING of that file.
This has been verified by myself and several other mastering facilities
Worldwide.

AudioEase is working on a fix, but since it's also coming up here in a
non-related field, I have to think it's a LAME issue (no pun
intended).

Just an FYI.

--
Eric Seaberg

Eric Seaberg - San Diego - [EMAIL PROTECTED]