Jonnio;351013 Wrote:
> I could see something like this picture
>
> http://kupuk.com/media/Zones/zones10.jpg
>
> Where you have as many zones as you have players, but then you can use
> the wheel to scroll down to a player, center click on it, and then
> "drag" it up to another zone.
>
> Should be much more intuitive than the current setup.

I like that.

That would also work well in the web interface and could use
drag-n-drop there too.

I really like the idea of having zones (or "groups") of players that
could contain just a single player.  And I think you should be able to
have groups with no players.  The player group would then own the
playlist, not the player.  You could even make creative use of this to
build playlists "offline", then move players into the group.

The idea of a sync "direction" is eliminated.  A player simply joins or
leaves a group - wherever that command is initiated doesn't matter.
It's only in the remote UI that the idea of "pulling" a player into the
current group has any meaning, and if you were to put enough work into
the interface, it could even be designed to allow users to control sync
of any player on the server, moving them in or out of any group, just as
on the Controller and in the web interface.

There may even be something of an advantage if you didn't have named
groups, and instead just used the generic naming of "Group 1..N".  Then
the semantics of the zone names don't bother people.  Having the two
upstairs players synced within the "Downstairs" zone would drive many
users buggy.  It they're in the generically named "Group 1" then it
won't matter.

What you could do if you just wanted a player to "leave" a sync group,
without specifying a new group to join, is to move the player into the
first empty group in the list.  There would be as many groups as there
are players.  A player or server option could state whether or not a
player takes (copies) its current playlist with it when it leaves a
sync group.

--
JJZolx

Jim