Skunk;351061 Wrote:
> It's not the hardware, but rather a software problem. You're using beta
> software, and reverting to the previous release will solve your problem
> of crackling sounds. The tech support people are probably not equipped
> to answer beta questions yet, let alone questions about alpha features
> like playback.
>
> For the record, mine crackles as well, especially in the bass. It
> sounds great when I'm streaming FLAC, but drops out too often to be
> usable. Local Mp3 files and also files transcoded via bitrate limiting
> on the player exhibit exactly what you're describing, but only if the
> recording comes anywhere near clipping. E.g. on My Life In The Bush Of
> Ghosts original pressing there are no crackles, but on the much hotter
> mastering of the recent re-release it's very noticable.
>
> I'm sure it's nothing to worry about, and if it bothers you too much
> you should revert to officially released software before pestering tech
> support, IMHO.

I wonder what the difference is other than maybe .flac.  I use only
.flac files for my music and it works pretty well.  I listened to it
for 2.5 hours straight today and for the most part it was
uninterrupted.  I was listening to Texas blues radio last night for a
while and it was perfect.  I can't get Rhapsody or Pandora yet.  I
don't get the popping at all, just an occassional drop out or the track
will start over.  Maybe I hit on the best nightly update :-)

Thanks again for your help with the volume and speaker hacks.

Howard

--
Howard Passman