Just found Squeezeplay and need to say that it does exactly what I was
looking for - a better way to control the pair of SBs in my bedroom
from the two always-on laptops on either side of the bed in a way easy
enough for my girlfriend to maybe listen to CDs instead of commercial
(over the air) radio. The Web UI and IR remote are too clunky for her.

The bedroom already has four remotes and I didn't want a SB Controller
(though one might be perfect for the living room).  A Controller-like
GUI she can use from her Mac and I use from my PC is just the ticket.

There's lots of great functionality here that she will probably never
use since we tend to play random shuffle over the entire collection.
But hidden inside are the key features for us: start, stop. skip,
volume up, volume down, and choose SB (to adjust volume).  The desktop
skin is about the right size and is pretty intuitive.  Having the album
art is a bonus.

Nits?  Sure - would like mousable volume, even better would be multiple
volume sliders, one per SB in the sync group and/or an easier way to
select SBs.  A help screen w/keyboard shortcuts would also be nice.
Very minor compared to what it does for me.

Reading through the thread our use case doesn't seem to be common use -
or at least not for a vocal minority.  OTOH, if my bedroom was a design
center, SqueezePlay pretty much his the bullseye.

There, got that off my chest.

--
elbee