back to andy's question: I seem to have found one difference between the
new scanner and the old:

For some reason I have some albums that have an ALBUMARTISTSORT tag,
but no ARTISTSORT.

(Most certainly should: Isaac Hayes should be under H not I so should
have an ARTISTSORT.. why MusicBrainz didn't insert it is another
question...)

So it's not really a SC bug: these tags make no sense:

TIT2 (Title/songname/content description): Precious, Precious
TPE1 (Lead performer(s)/Soloist(s)): Isaac Hayes
TRCK (Track number/Position in set): 1/6
TALB (Album/Movie/Show title): Presenting Isaac Hayes
TXXX (User defined text information): (ALBUMARTISTSORT): Hayes,
Isaac

No sign of the usual MB artist name, MB album artist (the Album Artist
ID is there, as is the artist id..) or MB Artist Sort.

But it does end up sorting very oddly.

Something amiss in one of the Picard plugins I use.. only a couple
dozen albums seem affected so I'll handfix them or smack picard into
behaving intelligently.

Just a further fyi that 'undefined values lead to undefined behavior'

--
snarlydwarf