Hum: "Is ... it supposed to work this way or is this a bug ?"

I'd prefer to think of it as undefined operation, which happens to work
differently than you would like!

If the install.xml version in the "manually" installed plugin is the
same as or newer than the newest one in any of the repos, then I would
not expect any warning messages.  This is how I develop.  However if its
older then it gets compared to the ones in the repos and you get told
that a newer one is available.  The one thing this version of ED will do
which the previous one did not is remove your old manually installed
plugin and replace it with a downloaded one.  This is what I got the
impression people wanted....

--
Triode