>4. do nothing and let the album appear under each artist on the album
>(assuming they ever let you turn off the VA detect logic

As I've said before, it's not as simple as just turning off VA detect logic.
If you did, you wouldn't have tracks with different artists gathered under a
single album any more - you'd have many different albums with the same name,
one per distinct track artist.

i.e. if you sorted by artist, you would see each track artist, but the "album"
would only contain a sub-set of the tracks.

Otherwise, if it tried to group songs onto the album, you'd have the "greatest
hits" problem whereby several albums sharing the same name would be incorrectly
grouped together.  SBS used to do that, and it was very undesirable.  People
had to re-tag their albums to ensure unique names.