>it has different entry points to the same one master list.

I'm not really sure what you mean by one master list.

There isn't one master list.  There is a proper relational DB, out of which
comes hierarchies of information.  It is not possible to have a single list,
when the underlying content has 1-to-many relationships.

Maybe it's a terminology misunderstanding?

>i should be able to toggle art anywhere.
SBS Web UI does allow art to be toggled on/off anywhere where albums are
displayed.  eg. Browse New Music: you can see text, small or large art.  Browse
to an artist, and see albums for that artist.  You can choose text, small or
large art, and you can sort the albums in this context in different ways.

What art would you expect to see for a list of years?  What are would you
expect to see on a SB3?

>i should be able to set up multiple views, aka libraries, based on
>criteria i choose, which could present subsets of the files, such as by
>folder location, genre, year, etc... or combos thereof.
>i shouldn't have to pick home>artists or home>albums or home>genre, b/c
>i should be able to get ANY of those sort methods from inside whatever
>view i happen to be in.

All of which is available through third-party plugins.  It would of course be
nice for this to be built-in capability, but it's one of the benefits of SBS
that it is configurable through third-party products, and you are more likely
to achieve what you want that way, because for a company to provide what you
ask is a lot of work to maintain.  Logitech appear to have no interest in
providing such features out of the box, as they don't directly get revenue for
that.

>if you wanted albums to only appear once, then just start the sort with
>albums.
If you want to sort by albums, and then by artist, how does it achieve that if
there's more than one artist on an album?
Would you expect to see the album repeated for each artist that appears on it:

        Album 1 - Artist 1
        Album 1 - Artist 2

>if you want artists to only appear once, start with artists, etc...
It's the combined products that defines how many of the start products you see.
 eg. in the above, there is only one "Album 1", but it is repeated, because
there are two artists on that album.  i.e. if you wanted to sort by artists and
genres, you'd probably get repeated artist rows to cover multiple genres, or
not all possible genres would be displayed for a single artist row.

>well, first of all with my custom views, you could create a view where
>only tracks with "Christmas" in a genre tag are in the results list,
>and sort from there.

And what is the difference compared to Browse Genres > Christmas, and then
sorting the albums view that you get?
Why do you see it easier to create a custom filtered view?  How would the user
do that, and save the view to be restored later?  How would you manage the set
of custom views?  If you wanted one per genre, you'd have loads of views.

If you instead see a full list of albums, sort by genre, scroll to christmas,
that's a lot more navigation than browse genres > christmas.  Slower for the
system, and for the user.

>> But, obviously there is room to make it more configurable, to have
>> additional ways of browsing.
>
>no, it isn't.  for many users it does odd things, unexpected things.
>and for many users its shitty to not be able to toggle art, or switch
>easily between artists and albumartists.

Not the many users argument again...
Are there really many?

>you could give a crap about that, but for people who use other apps
>that actually are FUN to use, like winamp, or itunes for those who like
>that, or WMP for those folks, SBS is a crazy mess.

Winamp is not fun.  Last time I used it, everything was so crammed in, the font
so small, I couldn't even read the content.  It was plain ugly and sluggish.

>most people i show it to don't get it.  stick your head in the sand if
>you want, but thats the truth.  there are lots of confused complaints
>and questions on here all the time about wtf is sbs doing and why?  it
>simply isn't a good user exp.

I really don't see that.  Most people that I show it to do get it.  I think
there is a larger proportion of users that think it works well, than there are
that think it is confusing.

>and even you use AA tags when you need to.  you couldn't use SBS
>properly or get a proper view of your collection without AA tags on
>SOME stuff.

Well, actually you could - just don't use track artists.  i.e. some people put
guest artists in the song title, eg. "song name featuring Tom Jones", and all
songs would have the same artist.

>as to the above, the point is that all the focus SBS puts on figuring
>out what is and isn't a comp is totally misdirected.  it should be more
>concerned with keeping it simple.
It is simple - most of the time, people don't need to do anything for it to
just work.  People who care to tweak and tailor to get their library spot-on
have the ability to do it, but most just don't care with the detail.