MrSinatra;601262 Wrote:

> -...a final note to erland...-
>
> you said earlier that you don't care whats in tags, you care whats in
> the DB.  this really makes no sense.  the DB, at least mine, is made up
> of what it scanned from my tags.  the whole point of an app like SBS or
> winamp or whatever is to scan the files/tags and make it a
> managed/browseable collection via the DB.  so i for one, expect the DB
> to reflect whats in my tags, and i want to browse based on that data.

First of all, as SBS currently works it can only put information in the
database that is in the tags, so with the current information tags are
important.

However, what I was trying to say is that there are things you can't
put in tags, at least not in a standard way.

Let me describe this with three examples and you can describe how I
should tag my music at least one program can display it correctly.

EXAMPLE 1:
==========
- A track "When You Believe" have two artists, "Mariah Carey" and
"Whitney Houston": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_You_Believe
- When listing artists, I like these to be displayed as two separate
artists "Mariah Carey" and "Whitney Houston"
- When I list artists, I want "Mariah Carey" to be sorted under "C" and
I want "Whitney Houston" to be sorted under "H".

How do I tag this to get the sorting to behave correctly in any music
program ?
I need to also be able to handle artists who have a middle name and not
just a first/last name correctly.

EXAMPLE 2:
==========
- Let's say that I want to be able to browse artists who are similar to
"Mariah Carey", for example those listed here:
http://www.last.fm/music/Mariah+Carey/+similar

How do I tag my music to make the database of any application can
contain information about artists that is similar to each other after
the scanning process ?

EXAMPLE 3:
==========
- I want a hierarchical genre menu that looks something like this:

Code:
--------------------

  Classical
  Chamber
  Orchestral
  Non-classical
  Rock
  Hard Rock
  Soft Rock
  Jazz

--------------------

How do I tag the music to get information about these genres in the
database so I can create the relevant browse menu/master list that
displays them correctly ?

MrSinatra;601262 Wrote:

> you've only experimented with winamp a little bit.  play with it some
> more, and tell me that SBS can even come close to its custom view
> abilities.  the day SBS can natively allow a user to make a custom view
> of classical genre tracks in the mdw folder that are rated 4 stars or
> above that haven't been played this year, is the day SBS comes close.

As Philip has said multiple times, you can do exactly this with third
party plugins and SBS already today. The difference is that in Winamp
it's included as standard and in Winamp it's quite a bit easier to
configure. The third party plugins for SBS is actually even more
flexible than Winamp but the problem is that to use their full
functionality  you need very deep knowledge in the plugins, Winamp is a
lot easier to configure for non technical users. The user interface for
browsing in Winamp is a lot better than SBS+third party plugins.

I've lost any hope that Logitech will ever implement it in the standard
SBS software because their new target customer "massmarket Joe" want
simplicity and not more advanced browse methods. I've tried to make
them interested in music discovery/browsing since 2006 and the interest
is less today than it were back in 2006, I think it's time to face the
fact, if you want advanced/flexible browsing/discovery features you
need to find someone else than Logitech to provide it.

I'm not sure if I was unclear in my previous post but when I tried
Winamp last week I loved its browsing interface and it seems to be very
flexible. The browsing speed was extremely good in my small library and
I even used Winamp via Remote Desktop, SBS web interface is more or
less a joke in comparison. The thing I haven't figured out yet is how
to implement something similar on the native Touch/Radio/Controller
interfaces and this is why I'd love if you try the "Tags" menu in
Custom Browse (as you've already promised), so I'm looking forward to
get your feedback/thoughts on that. The Winamp browsing interface is
currently optimized for a large computer screen, so I think we need a
bit different approach to make it work good on the small screen of a
Radio or Controller (or even the Touch).

As previously said, I'm mainly interested in this from a third party
plugin perspective, Logitech won't include it in standard SBS because
they apparently don't want to focus on functionality in this area.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland). If my answer
helped you and you like to encourage future presence on this forum
and/or third party plugin/applet development, 'donations are always
appreciated' (http://erland.isaksson.info/donate))