I remember this issue when the first network video players came out. I
screamed they shouldnt need separate software. My video library was
tiny compared to my music library and simple folder browsing was more
than enough. I think I have just become accustomed to Squeezebox
requiring software as it has supported all OS's I care about and I
appreciate the additional speed and features it offers.

Would you guys think Squeezebox would hit the mark if a Squeezebox was
capable of:
-standalone menu and clock
-standalone playback for web and local USB content
-standalone upnp/dlna client for dictated playback via other upnp/dlna
controller/servers
-standalone setup and access to simple folder browsing of any available
network share offered via Windows, Linux and Mac standard protocols?
-local db generation and maintenance for the available network shares*

*This would be the dot point that breaks the idea the most

The issue:
-device requires much more horse power. It is no longer a screen and a
simple decoder running under instruction but a full blown PC. Becomes
much more complex software running on the device and expensive hardware
to handle these things

More of less you'll end up with users with less than ideal performance
unless the Squeezebox was as fast as the users desktop.
It would mean the Squeezebox would end up as a 3ghz CPU, 1gb ram and
numerous fans on it using 70-100w power when in use.
The Squeezebox would become another PC on your network, similar to one
running foobar or similar accessing your media library over the
network.

I never got the problem totally before, but now I understand why I
bought a Squeezebox instead of a new computer running Windows with
Foobar with an IR pickup on a USB port etc. I didn't want another full
size computer.

--
bits