mherger;658027 Wrote:

> > c) surfing by year: what I meant: a single picture menu item is
> > rendered with filename and the timestamp.
>
> Do you only want to optimize the single (few) item(s) case? Because I
> sometimes have thousands of images in one single month. I wouldn't want
> to have them all in the same list.

IMHO, something else than date is needed if you want to handle an image
library with thousands of images per month. Specifically, you need to be
able to browse by keyword combined by browsing by time.

I think it's really time to start to think how people will be using
this.

I can see two different use cases:
1.
I want to find a specific image, in this case I typically know where it
was taken, sometimes who/what was part of the photo and approximately
when it was taken. I'm very skeptical if browsing by date and file name
is going to be sufficient if you have a photo library with thousands of
images and especially if you have a photo library with thousands of
images per month.

2.
I like to run a picture slideshow for some friends where I in advance
have prepared a playlist and I want to step through this on my
TV/Projector using the UPnP client built into the TV, DVD/Blueray
player, Revue or some other UPnP client I have in the living room.

At the moment none of these scenarios is supported IMHO, so I still
don't understand who is supposed to use the picture support in LMS.
Maybe it's designed for people who structure their photos on the hard
drive but in this case I don't understand why spending time to
read/parse/interpret meta data at all. Or maybe it's designed for
people with a few hundred photos in their library ?

I understand something radically different is more or less impossible
to accomplish for a October release, but I just want to understand what
the goal/vision with the picture support is, who is going to use it and
for what ?

The same also goes for the video support by the way, but I'm guessing I
might be different than everyone else there since I don't have any
metadata in the video files at all and all videos are stored in one big
directory since that's where MythTV puts them. What kind of video
library is the video support designed for ? I'd expect someone using
MythTV, MCE or other media center solution probably will use the
built-in UPnP server in those softwares instead of LMS. Are we talking
about home videos of your family or video libraries downloaded from
torrent sites ? Does these videos typically contain any meta data which
LMS uses to expose better browse menus ?

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland). If my answer
helped you and you like to encourage future presence on this forum
and/or third party plugin/applet development, 'donations are always
appreciated' (http://erland.isaksson.info/donate))
Interested in music discovery ? See 'Social Music Discovery (SMD)'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=656713) project.